Monday, July 16, 2012

A Berry Nice Birthday

Saturday we celebrated Daniel's big 3-0 birthday!

We started the birthday morning off with a short little video filled with footage from old home movies of Daniel growing up. I also pulled some old photos and had some of his dearest friends write a little birthday message and included those sentiments within the slideshow. I'll try to see if I can post it online at some point.

We decided to spend the morning at First Fruits Berry Farm picking some delicious blackberries. It was perfect! Sunscreen, bug-spray, berry baskets, and water were all provided. And the best part was that the bushes were thornless! No band-aids needed!


We had to make sure to tell Aubrey NOT to pick the red ones...the blacker the berry, the better.
She took our instructions very seriously and examined practically each berry.


"Uh-oh...I see a little bit of red on this one!"
Have I mentioned she's Type A?


Oh this girl makes me laugh. I don't know where on earth she found this little chair, but after about 20 minutes of serious blackberry picking (and eating, just look at that little berry mustache...), she decided she'd just sit and let us do the hard work. (That's the Birthday Boy's derriere in the background.)


It wasn't quite noon and the temp was just shy of 100. Our little berry picker found another chair (in the shade) and started noticeably wilting...

So we grabbed some water, paid our $2.50/lb for the berries and loaded up the car.
After some H20 and natural sugars, Aubrey perked right back up to her kookie little self.


We ended up with a nice amount of blackberries. Here's just one little basket of yumminess...


I had been trying to think of a dessert for the birthday boy (he's not a fan of cake), and in a rare moment I had a stroke of genius...Blackberry Chip Ice Cream!


Even Aubrey liked it! Then again, she's not too picky when it comes to ice cream...she just gets a crazed look on her face and starts licking.
 

Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday, dear Daniel...Happy Birthday to YOU!

May all your birthday wishes come true!
We are honored to celebrate you and your life!
We love you, Daniel!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to Daniel! Looks like it was a fabulous day in every way!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.