Tuesday, August 28, 2012

But Joy Comes in the (Wee Hours of the) Morning

It's easy to find yourself in the murky, muddy waters of despair when traveling the long road to adoption.

Getting hung up on all the unknowns.
Did she have a good day? What did she eat? Did she sleep well?

Building frustration over the lack of information.
We asked months ago for a medical update. Her last hospital record said she needed regular follow-ups...did she ever get any follow-up at all? What did it show? The latest information we have is 6 months old. 

Anxious anticipation for any updates or pictures.
When we sent Sissy the birthday care package back in July, we included 10 questions. It's been over a month, and it's not looking like we'll be getting answers any time soon. 

See what I mean?

While I find myself wallowing in adoption self-pity most days, God has really been working on my heart.

The other day, in the midst of a pouty prayer, I felt like God stopped me mid-sentence with:
Stop focusing on the unknown and set your eyes on what you do know.

Who created your daughter?
Who planned every single moment of her life before one of them came to be?
Who cares for the fatherless more than Me?
Who pricked your heart for adoption?
Who has held your hand and guided your every step to this child?
Who is in control of all things?
Who is working it all together for such an amazing ending that is going to leave you on your knees in awe?

I've stopped whining to God about adoption.
Well, maybe not completely, but I'm getting better.

One of the greatest gifts in life is when God allows us to walk alongside a family who is in the same boat.
When you get to link arms with them.
Share sorrows.
Share joys.
Share the journey of this crazy life.

We have some dear friends who just brought home their son from Taiwan.
It's been over a 2 year walk of faith.
In the midst of it all, the husband/dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor.
It's been no easy road for them, but their focus on God has been such a testimony to His goodness.

This past Sunday, at the stroke of midnight on August 26th, I was at the airport along with a crowd (even more came after this picture was snapped) waiting to welcome them home...



The excitement was palpable.



The husband/dad's tumor is not completely gone, though it's been nothing short of a miracle to see the incredible progress taking place. For that reason, as well as evidenced throughout Scripture, they named their new son the Hebrew word for "healer".



The minute this sweet family rounded the terminal, the big sister ran in pure excitement to us all cheering...


It was a joyous homecoming...


And isn't this little guy beyond adorable?!



And then he flashed his precious smile, and we all melted right there in the airport...


Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to get a glimpse of Your unfathomable love.


And while my heart breaks on a daily basis when I think of our little Shisi, I know God is the healer of all things.
Especially hearts.
I just need to stay in His arms.
Holding on tight.


Because really, is there any better place to be?

2 comments:

  1. Your words are so moving, Ashley. I love walking alongside your journey. Thank you for sharing our heart in such a raw, vulnerable manner. How blessed she is to have her mother yearning for her with such indescribable LOVE! God is soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Jamie. Thank you so much for sharing your heart and soul with us. I'm so happy for your friends and their new addition! He's a beautiful little man :)
    Hugs....

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.